The Fixture Criteria is reviewed by the Board annually and sets out which fixture slots will receive funding from HBLB.
Fixture Criteria 2017
1. In compiling the Fixture List account will be taken of the requirements of the cost and return to the Levy Board and the Board’s view as to how best to apply its funds for the “improvement of horseracing”.
2. Prize money funding and grants towards Raceday Services (regulation) to be provided for up to a maximum of [1,219] Racecourse Fixtures subject to section 6 below.
3. Prize money funding and grants towards Raceday Services to be provided for BHA twilight fixtures to be scheduled during the periods between January to mid-April and December on up to four days per week, and between September to November on up to five days per week (where possible, including a Friday), on the basis of one fixture per session.
4. Raceday Services grants to be provided for the Leasehold fixtures ratified by the BHA.
5. Raceday Services grants to be provided for Enterprise fixtures taking place in slots within section 6 below.
6. Within the constraints of the total number of funded fixtures, the following criteria will be followed as far as possible, the level of funding dependent on the designation of the fixture as in paras 2-4 above.
(a) Three afternoon fixtures on Monday to Friday (with the third fixture on Mondays and Tuesdays in June, July and August subject to horse population consideration). Fixtures must take place at staggered times throughout the duration of the day, with a maximum of five fixtures on any one day between Monday and Friday, of which no more than three may be afternoon fixtures.
(b) During the Turf Flat season there should be at least one afternoon Flat fixture each day. During the core National Hunt (NH) season of January and February, there should be two NH fixtures per afternoon where possible.
(c) On Saturday afternoons, up to four fixtures to receive full prize money funding subject to reaching a prize money threshold; for Flat fixtures it is £120,000 in April to October inclusive and £100,000 in other months. For Jump fixtures it is £120,000 in April and May and £100,000 in other months. On days when fewer than four fixtures reach this threshold, the remainder (up to a total maximum of four funded fixtures) must reach a prize money threshold of £40,000 to receive 50%. All four to receive Raceday Services grants.
(d) On Bank Holiday afternoons (including, for the avoidance of doubt, Good Friday), three fixtures to receive full prize money funding and two fixtures to receive 50% prize money funding. Where practicable, funding for the 50%-funded fixtures on May, August and Easter Bank Holidays are subject to a race at one fixture or more being programmed to start at no later than 12.30pm and another race at one fixture or more at no earlier than 6pm. Five fixtures in receipt of prize money to receive Raceday Services grants.
(e) Funding to be provided for a maximum of two summer evening fixtures on Mondays to Saturdays between April and August.
(f) Two afternoon fixtures on Sundays to receive full prize money funding, subject to reaching a prize money threshold of £40,000. Both fixtures to receive Raceday Services grants.